Archive for the ‘Golf News’ Category

VETERAN GOLF SCRIBE LARRY NGALA IS NOW THE JUNIOR GOLF FOUNDATION PRESIDENT

Posted on Tuesday, 10th March 2020 in Golf News
Kenya Golf Guide

Larry Ngala, the new Junior Golf Foundation president.

By DANIELLA APIYO AND AMANDA DAMARIS

Veteran Kenya golf writer Larry Ngala is the new boss of Junior Golf foundation. He takes over from Eng. Gitonga Kabera who has been the Junior Golf Foundation boss since 2016. During his appointment on 4th March 2020, the KGU Chairman Mr Anthony Murage said: “We have no doubt in our minds that under your leadership, Junior Golf Foundation shall continue to create an enabling environment for the sport to grow among our youth”

Mr. Ngala is a sports writer working with the Nation Media Group and doubles up as a trustee of the Junior Golf Foundation since 2018, His passion and dedication to junior golf is very well noticeable from his weekly golf articles where he fights for junior golfer’s inclusion and acceptance to clubs.

Since its inception, the foundation has been led by Eddie Njoroge from 1996-2000, Vishy Talwar from 2000 to 2005, David Mogere 2006-2009, Ashwin Gidoomal from 2009-2016 and Joselle Gitonga from 2016-2019.

He will lead a team of 6 other trustees namely John Wachira, David Kihara, Shem Orwenyo, Mary Ang’awa, Nancy Ikinu and the newly appointed trustee Irene Auma. “ I will dedicate myself to work towards the grassroot golf development program that was started last year ensuring that golf reaches every corner of this country with the support with our regional representatives,” said Ngala.

Comments Off on VETERAN GOLF SCRIBE LARRY NGALA IS NOW THE JUNIOR GOLF FOUNDATION PRESIDENT

BLOW AS KENYA OPEN GOLF IS CANCELLED DUE TO CORONA VIRUS

Posted on Friday, 6th March 2020 in Golf News
Kenya Golf Guide

President Uhuru Kenyatta (right) awards Italian Guido Migliozzi the winner’s prize during 2019 Kenya Open Golf championships at the Karen Golf and Country Club.

By DANIELLA APIYO AND AMANDA DAMARIS

It was a blow to golf enthusiasts, players and corporate companies today when Kenya’s Cabinet Secretary of Health Mutahi Kagwe announced the cancelation of this year’s Kenya Open Golf Championships that was to tee off at the Karen Golf and Country Club next week.
Kagwe said the country would not host any international sporting event or meeting for the next 30 days as a precaution for the deadly virus that has killed close to 3,000 persons in China, despite the fact that there are still no reported cases in the country.
The Kenya Open Golf Limited chairman Peter Kanyago said: “We have received the Government of Kenya’s decision to postpone all conferences and meetings of an international nature in Kenya for the next 30 days, including the 2020 Magical Kenya Open, due to the ongoing global threat from the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).”
He said they respect the decision of the Government and supports all efforts that safeguard the country against the possible entry of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
“I have conveyed the Government of Kenya decision to the European Tour and they have assured us of their full support and we will be announcing new dates for the championship in due course. We will be sending out further communication to all our stakeholders,” he said.
Meanwhile, the European Tour in their website said: “Due to the threat posed by the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the Government of Kenya, has this morning advised of their decision to postpone all meetings and conferences in the country of an international nature, a suspension which will be reviewed in a month’s time.”
Keith Pelley, Chief Executive of the European Tour said: “We understand and totally respect the decision made by the Government of Kenya in these difficult times.
“We are looking into the possibility of rescheduling the tournament at some point later in the season, but that remains simply a possibility right now – we have no definitive plans at this stage.
“I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank President Uhuru Kenyatta and the Kenyan Government for their unwavering support, alongside Kenya Open Golf Limited Chairman Peter Kanyago and Tournament Director Patrick Obath for their strenuous efforts and commitment. We look forward to returning to Kenya in due course.”

Comments Off on BLOW AS KENYA OPEN GOLF IS CANCELLED DUE TO CORONA VIRUS


 canada goose sale